Get Toned Up For Swimsuit Season
Posted on: April 19th, 2016 by Allen Pool Company
Summer Shape Workout
Summer is in the air, and that means it is almost time to throw the cover off of your pool and get ready for warm days lounging in the water. Your friends at Allen Pool Atlanta, your pool maintenance team, can’t wait for swim season to start. But, like a lot people, we have also been hibernating a bit this winter and could use some extra time in the gym to get in some needed summer shape workouts. If you are in the same boat, read on for our awesome swimsuit-ready workout plan!
The Summer Shape Workout Plan
Our summer shape workout plan combines upper body, lower body, and core exercises. The number of times you complete this workout each week depends on how fit you are feeling—you could start with three days a week and work up, for example. Just make sure you take at least one rest day per week! We also recommend adding in cardio to this plan—we typically do strength exercises for about 40 minutes followed by 20-30 minutes of cardio. Find a cardio workout that you enjoy—it may be running, a group exercise class, biking, or anything—the more you enjoy it, the more likely you are to complete a satisfactory workout!
Upper Body Shaping
- The Caterpillar (sometimes called The Inchworm): Start bent over, and slowly walk your hands out in front of your feet until you are in push-up position. Do one push-up, and then walk your feet toward your hands, keeping your hands firmly planted. You should be triangular like a crawling caterpillar. Return to standing position. Repeat for 10 reps.
- Alternate Incline Dumbbell Curl: Hold a dumbbell in each hand and sit on an incline bench. Keep your elbows in close to your torso. Contract the bicep to lift the dumbbell to shoulder level, and slowly lower the weight back down. Alternate arms, and do 10 reps on each side (20 total).
Lower Body Shaping
- Goblet Squats: Get a kettle bell with both hands and hold it vertically in front of your chest. Spread feet shoulder-width apart. Keep your back straight and squat down until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Your weight should be in your heels, and your knees should never extend over your ankles. Return to standing. Do ten reps.
- Rotational Box Jumps: Grab a box that you are comfortable jumping onto. Stand with your feet parallel to the box. Jump up, and while in the air turn your body 90 degrees so that your feet end up perpendicular to the edge of the box. Do 10 jumps on each side (20 total).
- Planks: Nothing can beat a plank when it comes to a good core exercise. Get into push-up position and then bend your arms 90 degrees so you are resting on your forearms. The rest of your body should be in a straight line. If you have never done a plank before, grab a timer to see how long you are able to hold the plank. Then repeat the plank twice more for the same amount of time.
- Russian Twists: Grab a kettle bell and a mat. Lie down on the floor with knees bent. Then raise your upper body so that it creates a V shape with your thighs. Holding the kettle bell with both hands, rotate it to the right. Bring it back to center, and then rotate it to the left. Do three sets of 20 reps each.
As you get more accustomed to the workout, you can do multiple sets of each exercise. Of course, getting fit is about more than exercising. It also requires a diet focusing heavily on lean protein and vegetables, great hydration habits, and a good night’s sleep. You will be ready for the pool before you know it when you combine these lifestyle choices!
How to Use This Information
Here at Allen Pool Atlanta, we want to make sure you have the best summer hanging out by the pool you love so much. We can help—our services include maintenance, repair, and renovation! For any of our top-of-the-line services, call Allen Pool Atlanta at (770) 451-1621 or contact us online today!
Request a Quote
Please call (770) 451-1621 to request pool winterization by Allen Pool Service in Atlanta.